FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- WHAT IS SHOPPING ANGELS?
Shopping Angels is a free delivery service for groceries and other necessities. At this time, we cannot guarantee to provide these items free of charge. Some local branches may receive local donations of items, or may establish partnerships with local food banks/pantries and other organizations that provide these items free of charge, but Shopping Angels cannot provide free items.
- HOW DOES IT WORK?
*all versions of the URL should still be working!
The province/city/region coordinator(s) reaches out and asks if a volunteer can help, and then assigns the able and healthy volunteer to a client. The volunteer then receives an email regarding protocol and the client’s address. From here, the volunteer will reach out to the client to coordinate a shopping trip and delivery!
- VOLUNTEER GUIDELINES
Please be aware that we are updating our volunteer standards to prevent transmission of infection. Volunteers must:
- be 18 years of age or older, unless accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- not have been in contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID-19.
- have not traveled outside of the country in the last 14 days
- not display any symptoms of illness (major symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath)
- wear rubber/latex gloves or a substitute (i.e. gardening/snow gloves)
- practice social distancing and good hand hygiene
- wear masks or alternatives (scarves, bandanas, etc.) when available
- find a partner to volunteer with (i.e. family member, friend) to ensure your own safety. You may take separate cars to maintain social distancing when appropriate!
- carry cash change (in increments of $1, $5, $10 bills and/or coinage). If clients are paying cash upon delivery, we want to ensure that they receive their items and only pay the amount on the receipt - with no extra delivery charges or fees.
- frequently check your temperature to verify a lack of fever before delivering to an at-risk client.
- Electronic payment (PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, etc.)
- Cashier’s Check
- In the future, we may have the option to accept physics debit/credit card once we acquire card readers. However, we cannot accept card at this time, so do not share your credit card information with anyone.
- If you are a client requesting to use EBT/SNAP cards, we unfortunately are not able to use these items. In many states there are legal limitations on who can use these cards.
Do not EVER provide payment (cash or physical cards, or card information) prior to delivery. In the future we will provide Certified Volunteers who are able to do this. At this time Shopping Angels does not have any Certified Volunteers. If somebody claims to be a Certified Volunteer, notify our Board at shoppingangelsHQ@gmail.com immediately to confirm this information.
We highly discourage anyone from taking a regular check, or any payment method that can be invalidated, as we are not responsible or liable for any volunteer that accepts an invalidated payment method.
- HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
No volunteer should ever make a shopping trip/delivery if they feel unsafe in any way. Any volunteer that feels that their safety is compromised should cease activity immediately and let us know via e-mail at shoppingangelsHQ@gmail.com.
Spread the word: If you would like a PDF version of our flyer to print and hand out or share with others, to recruit volunteers or provide help to those who may need it, please e-mail your Coordinator to receive one specified for your area! You are also welcome to share our posts on social media. We are on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/shoppingangelscanada/) and Instagram!
Donate: We only have one GoFundMe campaign associated with our program: www.gofundme.com/f/shoppingangelsnv
Our program has seen tremendous growth in the past weeks! Part of this growth has come with significant costs. These funds will go to many of these operational costs, to include (but is not limited to): obtaining card readers for various states/cities, creating/producing an item to identify Shopping Angels volunteers, undergoing the process of getting 501(c)3 nonprofit status, and potential screening/background check methods for volunteers.
CAN I GET FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR MY ITEMS? Unfortunately, at this time, we do not provide funds for those that can’t afford their own groceries. We have volunteers and clients requesting help in all fifty states, and in our international branches (Australia and Canada), so our current funds do not allow us to provide items free of charge.
We are trying very hard to establish partnerships with local food banks/pantries and other organizations who can provide items free of charge, while Shopping Angels would make the deliveries. Some branches may also receive local donations of items that can go towards local clients who cannot afford their items, but this is not a guarantee in any city/state and if these donations are available, they may have limited supply of items.
- CONTACT US FOR FURTHER QUESTIONS:
Note: If you are in South Africa, we encourage you to join forces with Cape Town against Corona, a similar group to ours (https://www.facebook.com/volunteerelderlyCT/)